Thursday, September 4, 2008

Old Friend

I thought about an old friend last night. Just kind of hit me out of the blue. I was wondering where he was at and what he is up to. I know he has a family with a lovely wife but I couldn't remember the names of his kids, or how many he has. I wonder if he has caught up with me and maybe passed me in that department.

He was what I would call my best friend in the world growing up in Paola, KS. He came out to our farm a lot and we built forts and played in the barn and stuff. I remember that he dared me to do a lot of things and I always seemed to be willing to do the stupidest, craziest things. I remember playing a lot of whiffle ball in his back yard or the back yard of the neighbors that lived close.

I took voice and piano lessons from his mom after school for several years. I wish I would have continued with those but I talked my mom into letting me quit. We were in a few school groups together and we traveled in the Lions Band for three summers. He used to be a pretty good on his alto sax. I think he used to have a Mark IV. I really can't remember.

We grew up and got married. He was the best man at my wedding almost 25 years ago. I named my first born son after him. I wonder if he really knows that? And then we just got busy with life and really never kept in touch. I've seen him a few times over the years, but not really very often. It's been a lot of years since I have seen or even talked to him. I usually think of him on his birthday the last part of January. He's just a few months older than I am.


I know that he became a Pastor in the church denomination that we both grew up in. He married a girl he met in college and I married my high school sweetheart. I remember wondering if he would ever get out of college. His mom told me that he went to Florida for awhile and then moved back to Missouri to take a church of his own.

Our mothers used to be close friends when they were younger and I heard from my mom that his dad was not doing so well the last few years. I remember that his dad was the one who taught me how to keep a steady tempo through a song.

So I'm wondering if God has placed him on my heart for some personal need that he may have or if I'm just remembering?








1 comment:

sassy chic said...

I'm wondering how you found a picture that looks so much like him! And in my experience, God brings people to mind out of the blue because they are in need of prayer coverage. I had a friend that came to mind a few years ago that just kept coming to mind and coming to mind. I prayed for him everytime and later found out his wife was dying of cancer during that time. God spared her for several more years before she went home to be with Him. Don't ever think someone just comes to mind for no reason. As christians there is always a reason.