Tuesday, July 8, 2008

How do you eat an elephant...


Sometimes, when I step back and look at the big picture, I am completely overwhelmed. Especially when I go back to work after a vacation or a holiday. Things just seem to pile up on me. It's nice to have the time off, but the battle that waits for me when I get back is daunting at times. I have so many commitments and responsibilities in different areas of my life. I have to be the strong one. The one everyone else can lean on. The rock that doesn't move! The anchor that is secure. Enough of those euphemisms... The point is, I struggle keeping my head above water sometimes. Anybody else like that?

I take encouragement in knowing that you can't eat an elephant in one sitting. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! I make it my goal to keep taking little bites out of each of the many things I do and are responsible for. Eventually, they are completed...most of the time. Sometimes I fail and let people down. That's a real bummer for me because I hate to let people down. But most of the time, things get done and I look back and am amazed that the elephant is gone...

2 comments:

Pastor John said...

I feel your pain, but I like the elephant thing. I am going to try to look at it like a buffet. I like buffets. :)

Pat Hankins said...

The only problem is if you don't eat enough of the elephant, he can step on you and squash you like a bug. I too took a few days off and guess what, everything that was needing to be done while I was gone is still here... well one bite at a time...